Senior Offshore Wind Resource Assessment Analyst
Wood Thilsted (WT) is a boutique engineering consultancy company focused on all aspects of foundation design and project development within the offshore and onshore wind energy industry. WT’s capabilities began with a focus on geotechnical and structural engineering and has grown over the last 5 years to include geophysics, metocean, scour, seismic, and wind resource specialties. We operate globally, with projects located mainly in Asia, North America and Northern Europe. We currently employ over 85 staff, working from offices in Denmark, Japan, Taiwan, USA and the UK with a continued growth foreseen in the near future.
Due to the success and growth of the company, we are searching for an experienced and motivated Wind Energy Analyst to be a part of the Wood Thilsted team and to support the future development of the company.
The primary work location will be preferably Bristol (UK), however London is a potential option. Nevertheless, given that our teams, clients and projects are spread internationally across Northern Europe, North America and South-East Asia, you may expect some travelling in relation to your work, both nationally and internationally. In addition, there may be opportunity, during your employment, for long-term or short-term postings abroad.
Areas of responsibility: As a Senior Wind Resource Assessment Analyst, your main assignment will be to deliver or manage the delivery of Energy Production Assessments and Site Conditions Assessments (including both wind and marine conditions) for offshore wind projects, but also onshore as required. Furthermore, your role may also include (but not be limited to):
- Delivery of Energy Production Assessments and Site Conditions Assessments (including both wind and marine conditions) for offshore projects. This may either include delivering the work yourself, or, as the company grows, manage other employees delivering the work. (training for marine site conditions will be provided)
- Delivery of complete site conditions assessment, including wind and other factors, for offshore wind sites
- Proposal writing and budgeting of the work required
- Project management of own work and/or that of junior colleagues
- Undertake R&D as required, namely potentially develop or assist in the development of in house tools to facilitate and/or automate the assessments and reporting
- Quality check and/or approve the work delivered by others
- Attend client meetings and conferences, and present work or R&D as needed
- Undertake other BD activities as required
- Lead the technical area of offshore wind resource assessment expertise, propose R&D, new tools, and methodologies in order to keep the services provided to our clients ahead of industry best practice
- Recruit, manage, mentor and train new staff as required
- You should hold a master’s degree or higher in mechanical or environmental engineering, physics, mathematics, statistics or similar discipline
- You should also have significant commercial experience delivering Energy Assessments and Wind Site Conditions Analysis for offshore projects
- You should preferably have commercial experience delivering Energy Assessments and Wind Site Conditions Analysis for onshore projects as well
It is essential that you:
- Experience with instrumentation and QA/QC of wind data
- Are well organised and able to keep track of multiple aspects of work, re-appraising and re-prioritising activities throughout the project lifecycle as both your team’s availability and the client’s requirements evolve;
- Are able to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, consultants and contractors through a variety of media, including both web-based telecommunication and face-to-face meetings;
- Have excellent verbal and writing skills in English;
- Are a team player;
- Are pro-active in your efforts to engage with others;
- Demonstrate a strong drive to fulfil your assignments, and a willingness to take the initiative when faced with opportunities to exceed expectations;
- Possess excellent numeracy, literacy, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Are fluent in the use of standard office software such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Have permission to work in the UK;
Furthermore, it is advantageous if you have experience of some of the following:
- Significant relevant experience as a wind analyst, in the offshore renewables sector;
- Managing floating LiDAR measurement campaigns;
- Using ArcGIS or QGIS;
- Development of bespoke software, especially targeting streamlined/automated processes/reporting workflows;
- Other technical studies required at an early stage for offshore wind farm development, e.g. layout optimisation;
- A solid understanding of Client liaison;
- An appreciation of the current and projected scales of the offshore wind sector, including different turbine and foundation technologies, and the different types of challenges prominent in different regions of the global market;
- Language skills other than English;
In return we offer you excellent opportunities to grow, influence your daily work, develop new competences and work on interesting projects and innovative R&D. We also offer a competitive work package and a very friendly, flexible work environment.