Every day at Gleeds, we influence the way people around the world live, work and travel. Delivering on the world’s most iconic projects for globally renowned clients, our teams solve complex problems that shape the future of the built environment.
One of the qualities we value in people, is the ability to think creatively about the solutions we offer to clients. With 71 offices spanning the Americas, Europe, MENA and Asia Pacific our ability to innovate and improve is a product of the varied backgrounds and experience of our people. We welcome new perspectives and ideas.
Above all, we believe that quality relationships sit at the heart of good business. We strive to be the people that seek to understand and bring people together. Wherever we are in the world, our aspiration is to leave a positive legacy for people and local communities, whilst living and breathing our three core values:
- We’re committed to our clients and our people
- We’re creative and realistic
- We combine professionalism with personality
About this opportunity
We have exciting opportunties for Security Cleared (SC) Estimators and Senior Cost Engineers (with a mechanical or electrical bias) to join our team in the Southwest. As supply chain partners we focus on Government, MOD, Nuclear and Naval programs throughout the UK.
The Cost Engineers/Estimators role is to assess, assure and provide insightful analysis of engineering projects to enable robust decision making and delivery of value to stakeholders. You will lead assurance on projects valued in excess of £100M
The successful candidates will be assigned within our transformation team that is responsible for evaluating, recommending and implementing cost engineering improvement initiatives. This includes developing base line bottom-up and top down estimates to meet project control/forecasting/finance requirements, developing cashflows, performing maturity assessments and detailed earn value management. In addition, the role shall include implementing best practice, methods, tools and techniques.
Although primarily based in the southwest region occasional travel to other sites around the UK will be required for training and to meet with the needs of our expanding client base.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• You will be responsible for the delivery of risk-based investigation tasks and cost and schedule estimates for budget setting and approval purposes. Your key duties will include:
• Production of independent cost and schedule estimates in support of programme, inclusive of the analysis of data, utilising various estimating methodologies, tools and techniques and writing of reports.
• Providing pricing and costing advice covering a variety of projects.
• Performance of maturity
• Developing and maintaining relationships with customers and wider key stakeholders to ensure product delivery including engaging with external Contractors.
• Assessment of Prime Contractor and Subcontractor bid proposals and provision of support to negotiation.
• Personal functional development through Awareness-Practitioner-Expert progression
• Lead the estimating process to ensure deliverables are produced in a timely and effective manner;
• Oversee and/or interrogate design options and value solutions, and if appropriate, identify the attractiveness of a project based on sound estimating principles.
• Review customers drawings and specifications to prepare accurate costing sheets for materials, labour and equipment;
• Ensure compliance with Gleeds and our customers procedures;
• Assess and manage risk and opportunity and support negotiations as part of the pricing process;
• Collate and review scope and tender documents and submission requirements in a timely way, ensuring all financial information is identified and provided and accurate compliant design proposals are included;
• Previous experience of managing/implementing all aspects of the estimating process for projects, within the MOD or Government environments
• Membership of a relevant professional body and/or a relevant professional qualification is desirable, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE;
• Working knowledge of best practice solutions and optimisation of innovative ideas
• Good working knowledge of pricing and quantification methods is required;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure;
• A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the business is required. Proficiency in IT, numeracy and MS Office Basic & Estimating Systems is essential
• Utilizing team inputs creates and tracks estimate maturity and performs uncertainty assessments.
• Works with cross functional Program Teams
• Performs "what if" scenarios for individual program management teams
• Ensures compliance with internal program procedures as well as PCS (Project Control Systems) guidelines
• Share lessons learned with other Estimators.
• Participate in training, engineering and program excellence organization.
• Communicates with contacts within and outside of own team which may include customers or vendors.
• Works under moderate supervision.
• Sets objectives for own job area to meet the goals of projects and assignments.
• May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support level employees.
• Explains and interprets operational processes, practices and procedures of the job area to others within the organization.
• Work consists of making basic adjustments to systems and processes to align with industry best practice and assist in analysis and proposal of solutions to problems.
• Identifies, defines and addresses general problems that are typically within the immediate job area.
• Works to achieve operational targets within job area with some impact on department results.
We are looking for a minimum of 5 years of working experience within the Naval or Nuclear sector and you will have Mechanical/Electrical systems estimating experience. It is essential that you are experienced and familiar in the setting up and the use of package estimating software and possess a strong understanding of planning, earned value, progress measurement, cost and change control during pre and post contract. Applicants should be degree qualified, and, ideally, be a member of professional construction / project management organisation - e.g. RICS, MCIOB, APM.
As a Gleeds team member, you will have access to:
Opportunities to develop and grow your career
25 days holiday plus option to purchase additional days through the holiday purchase scheme
A contributory pension scheme
Employee Assistance Programme
Our global travel scholarship programme Flexible working arrangements
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, marital status, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, or gender.
We recognise the importance of work/life balance and agree flexible working arrangements to suit each individual.
Gleeds is a gold standard investor in people employer.