Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Job Description
We are looking for a Senior Research Analyst
to join our Commodity Analytics Oils
Our Oils research team is a highly respected group of analysts producing market-leading research on the entire oil supply chain from crude supply through refining and fuels marketing to end-use demand. Together we work with our clients delivering an excellent service every day as we support them in their planning and decision-making processes.About you and how you can excel in this role
You are passionate about the downstream oil industry and have built an in-depth understanding of the energy sector in your current or previous roles in the sector. You have an analytical, commercial mindset and an eye for detail. You also understand the big picture, which enables you to analyse and form clear, coherent conclusions from a variety of data and information. You have worked in an oil refining and or trading outfit analysing short-term and long-term market trends and have refining supply planning experience.
You find it easy communicating complex or technical information and delivering messages that are easily understood. You also have a flair for writing and communication. You communicate the key elements of those outlooks to clients, regularly and effectively, and enhance Wood Mackenzie's reputation for exceptional analytical insight. You thrive in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment. You are the primary source of definitive written analysis in your team, and the main source of advice to clients on regional/sectoral/segment issues in meetings, forums and conferences. You formulate sophisticated interpretations of strategic events and developments in a sector and a range of alternative outlooks which reflect the major uncertainties in the business/political climate.
Your long-term aspiration is to be an influential research professional who helps in setting the industry agenda. You are looking for a role where you can build on your existing knowledge and learn from others in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment. You also coach other team members in analytical best practice, industry awareness and relationship building. The way in which you work is productive and driven, striving to be best in class. You often share ideas and find better ways of working.
This role will enable you to maintain close and productive relationships with a range of senior clients and operators, taking the initiative in supporting the sales effort and being a model for exceptional client engagement.
The focus of this role will be to conduct fundamental analysis pertaining to oil markets that will help in deriving useful and insightful analysis for our clients.
As part of a world-class team of experts, you will closely monitor and assess key events and commercial developments in downstream oil markets, assets and companies, analysing industry short and long-term data.
Through research trips, meetings and by phone, you will build relationships with senior contacts at key companies and bodies. You will develop a unique perspective and understanding of the refining oils industry through our Refinery Evaluation Models and simulation tools. Your knowledge will be highly valued by Wood Mackenzie's clients, with whom you will share your insight via industry-leading written reports, financial models and presentations.
As part of our integrated and collaborative environment, you will provide analytical support to consulting engagements, support sales and work within cross-team projects.Key Responsibilities
- Gathers and organises global energy data (related to crude and products market and refining assets) from different sources in a timely manner and brings information together to enhance fundamental supply/demand knowledge, refining margins and benchmarking parameters.
- Conducts research and analysis on Crude trade flows, prices, supply and demand dynamics.
- Benchmarks and forecasts Global refinery operations: refinery runs (crude and feedstock), refinery maintenance and expansion, refining margins, cracks etc.
- Contributes in development of modelling tools to develop strategies around crude market and refining sector analysis.
- Supports the analytics team on ad-hoc analysis of events impacting oil markets.
- Regularly produces original analysis, publications and presentations that influence clients’ business perspectives.
- Regularly contributes to technical direction for the team.
- Increasingly deep and broad knowledge that is starting to extend beyond their core area of expertise.
- Interacting regularly with, and advising clients, at a senior level within a region or sector, enhancing WoodMac’s reputation as a trusted authority.
- Regularly provides innovative ideas, scenarios and solutions to support improvements in internal processes or quality of research/service to clients.
- Actively coaches within area of specialism and beyond, supports knowledge-sharing across and outside the division.
- Minimum 8 years' relevant experience in Oil/Petroleum Industry (Refining LP planning experience preferable)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in related field such as business, finance, economics, earth science or engineering
- Good understanding of crude oils and products markets.
- Good with numbers and strong analytical skills.
- Good communication and written skills.
- Able to work independently and a good team player
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice