We are looking for a Senior Research Analyst to join our Commodity Analytics Oils team. Our Oils research team is a highly respected group of analysts producing market-leading research on the entire oil supply chain from crude supply through refining and fuels marketing to end-use demand. Together we work with our clients delivering an excellent service every day as we support them in their planning and decision-making processes.
About you and how you can excel in this role
You are passionate about the downstream oil industry and have built an in-depth understanding of the energy sector in your current or previous roles in the sector. You have an analytical, commercial mindset and an eye for detail. You also understand the big picture, which enables you to analyse and form clear, coherent conclusions from a variety of data and information. You have worked in an oil refining and or trading outfit analysing short-term and long-term market trends and have refining supply planning experience.
You find it easy communicating complex or technical information and delivering messages that are easily understood. You also have a flair for writing and communication. You communicate the key elements of those outlooks to clients, regularly and effectively, and enhance Wood Mackenzie's reputation for exceptional analytical insight. You thrive in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment. You are the primary source of definitive written analysis in your team, and the main source of advice to clients on regional/sectoral/segment issues in meetings, forums and conferences. You formulate sophisticated interpretations of strategic events and developments in a sector and a range of alternative outlooks which reflect the major uncertainties in the business/political climate.
Your long-term aspiration is to be an influential research professional who helps in setting the industry agenda. You are looking for a role where you can build on your existing knowledge and learn from others in a collaborative, commercial and client-centric environment. You also coach other team members in analytical best practice, industry awareness and relationship building. The way in which you work is productive and driven, striving to be best in class. You often share ideas and find better ways of working.
This role will enable you to maintain close and productive relationships with a range of senior clients and operators, taking the initiative in supporting the sales effort and being a model for exceptional client engagement.
The focus of this role will be to conduct fundamental analysis pertaining to oil markets that will help in deriving useful and insightful analysis for our clients.
As part of a world-class team of experts, you will closely monitor and assess key events and commercial developments in downstream oil markets, assets and companies, analysing industry short and long-term data.
Through research trips, meetings and by phone, you will build relationships with senior contacts at key companies and bodies. You will develop a unique perspective and understanding of the refining oils industry through our Refinery Evaluation Models and simulation tools. Your knowledge will be highly valued by Wood Mackenzie's clients, with whom you will share your insight via industry-leading written reports, financial models and presentations.
As part of our integrated and collaborative environment, you will provide analytical support to consulting engagements, support sales and work within cross-team projects.
· Gathers and organises global energy data (related to crude and products market and refining assets) from different sources in a timely manner and brings information together to enhance fundamental supply/demand knowledge, refining margins and benchmarking parameters.
· Conducts research and analysis on Crude trade flows, prices, supply and demand dynamics.
· Benchmarks and forecasts Global refinery operations: refinery runs (crude and feedstock), refinery maintenance and expansion, refining margins, cracks etc.
· Contributes in development of modelling tools to develop strategies around crude market and refining sector analysis.
· Supports the analytics team on ad-hoc analysis of events impacting oil markets.
· Regularly produces original analysis, publications and presentations that influence clients’ business perspectives.
· Regularly contributes to technical direction for the team.
· Increasingly deep and broad knowledge that is starting to extend beyond their core area of expertise.
· Interacting regularly with, and advising clients, at a senior level within a region or sector, enhancing WoodMac’s reputation as a trusted authority.
· Regularly provides innovative ideas, scenarios and solutions to support improvements in internal processes or quality of research/service to clients.
· Actively coaches within area of specialism and beyond, supports knowledge-sharing across and outside the division