We are looking for a senior engineer with streetlighting design experience.
SENIOR ENGINEER OFFICER (STREET LIGHTING)
- KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The council manages a network of over 52,000 streetlights as well as signs and other street furniture across its network of streets and private roads. The priorities are:
Managing the asset risks, delivering a significant capital LED programme, and providing a street lighting design and delivery service for developer/council schemes and a good quality/high performance service to our community. The council is investing a significant amount of funding in our road network, towns and village centres as well as encouraging developers to create new homes and businesses in our borough.
In conjunction with the senior engineer job profile the points below give more detail of what is expected of this street lighting senior engineer role. Reporting to a principal engineer streetlighting design:
- The role will primarily focus on design, programming and delivery of street lighting schemes in line with the council’s asset management requirements, procedures and standards. The type of work could include LED replacement, deillumination of sign/bollards, upgrading of zebra crossings equipment schemes. Also scheme design for the council’s major roads projects, in our town and village centres, new build estates and other developer lead lighting schemes.
- Bringing recent, proven knowledge and experience in street lighting to the role you will work alongside colleagues in a street lighting team. Use your experience, knowledge and a practical approach to delivering a wide range of streetlighting projects, using a range of equipment, whilst acknowledging the requirements of our citizens.
- Undertake or assist with project management to ensure the performance of those working on projects and programmes within your control eg. Council’s in-house delivery team, contractors, Northern Power Grid and others so that agreed targets of performance are achieved including costs, timescales, resources and quality.
- Manage customer, developer and councillor enquires on street lighting and in relation to schemes/ programmes ensuring a good quality and timely response and resolution to agreed standards is achieved.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the supervision of Engineers and Apprentices within in your team if required.
- Spend a portion of your time travelling between sites, for which you will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test.
- Hold HNC or Degree or proven ability to work at that level.
- Experience of design and /or leading in the identification and organisation of all resources required for work.
- Experience in prioritising and co-ordinating designs, evaluations, procurement processes, site inspections, training/initiatives, research, and providing recommendations.
- Supervises or leads staff’s work providing basic advice and guidance in Human Resources Issues.
- Experience of presenting information in formats suitable for a variety of audiences
- Demonstrate an ability to work on your own initiative with minimal supervision with good team working skills.
- Good level of IT knowledge and skills including Microsoft Office.
- Dependant on role you will have NRASWA Supervisor accreditation.
- Able to respond to councilors operational requests impartially & confidentially.
- Hold a full and valid driving licence and be willing to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test or have the ability to travel between sites using public transport.
- Following an offer of employment you will be required to undertake a standard medical screening and other medical screening as determined by the Occupational Health Unit appropriate to occupational risk.