EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy and Belgium. We're the UK's largest producer of low-carbon electricity, the biggest supplier of electricity by volume in Great Britain, the largest supplier to British businesses and we employ more than 13,000 people. We operate nuclear, coal and gas power stations, wind farms, and combined heat & power plants. We have a focus on safe, dependable energy generation and an ethos of service excellence. We are playing a leading role in new nuclear build in the UK to secure a bright future for the combined business and its employees.
EDF Renewables. Building a sustainable future through wind power and other renewable technologies, in partnership with local communities.
Area Manager - Wind Turbines, Cockermouth, Competitive Salary & Benefits.
Join us as an Area Manager at Cockermouth and be a core member of our EDF Renewables (EDF-R) team. You'll enjoy having a particular focus on the safe maintenance execution and Operation within an area for the Asset Operations Group which manages, operates and maintains c. 1 GW of existing renewable energy assets in the UK, in a context of rapid growth and diversification across technologies (notably offshore, PV and storage). Our ambition is to be a distinctive and recognised leader in the UK and Ireland, developing our assets under operation to c.5GW by 2030.
The role will involve the delivery of the Maintenance and day-to-day running of their Area Asset Operations portfolio aligned with the strategy and objectives of the division. You will directly line manage EDF Windfarm Technicians and take responsibilities for the full windfarm maintenance and upkeep (Wind Turbine, HV, facilities, tracks etc.) at a site level allowing strong responsibility and influence for the technical availability and windfarm performance with focus on adding value, Operational Excellence and Zero Harm. You will execute an agreed maintenance approach that works collaboratively within the In-house teams and with contracted OEM partners on the EDF assets to deliver the full potential of energy production. Managing technician teams from a local service centre, having strong involvement with a planning team. Also key to the role is short term rescheduling of work due to such risks as weather and breakdowns, to achieve the most efficient manner for the safe and successful completion of proactive and reactive maintenance.
Day to day the successful candidate will:
- Zero harm: lead by example by maintaining the highest level of standards to comply with all SHEQ requirements while taking care of personal health and safety and that of others.
- Strict compliance of Company Code of Ethics.
- Lead and coordinate the team for all maintenance activities for continuous improvement
- Grow and sustain a high performing and motivated team, with an open and positive working environment, and a culture of collaboration and trust.
- Validate and execute the agreed planned scheduled and intervention programs.
- Provide first level technical support to in-progress interventions in the Area and organise/participate in them as required (field support, special operations).
- Manage the Service centre and logistics of the Area (tools, vehicles, stock, equipment, etc).
- Have close and strong relations with OEMs and other strategic partners contributing to the asset performance, ensuring high-level of satisfaction in terms of reporting, quality and integrity.
- Liaise with the wider Asset Operations team to make decisions for operational and maintenance activities in the area.
- Manage, monitor and promote the day-to-day transversal operations to deliver the best in-field performance (operational communications, WSTR, major component changes, cross functional relations)
You will lead and manage a potentially remote and diverse team, working closely with selected Internal and external partners for all activities on the area Windfarms in line with the company policy, procedures and critically, safety rules specifications (i.e. Wind Turbine Safety Rules). This includes people management responsibilities, such as coaching for performance (CFP) conversations. They will maintain strong relationships and represent the interests of EDF with critical stakeholders e.g. landowners, planners, Investors, local communities as needs arise.
You will receive, develop and deploy department goals and objectives to Technician teams with a focus on driving value and integrity of the assets. In addition, they will have an input on the effectiveness and efficiency of the Windfarms due to the interaction with other Asset Operations functions (i.e. Procurement, SHEQ etc.). You will also take responsibility of any assets on stop needing both minor and Major Component Replacements (MCRs) to prevent downtime and complete in a safe agreed process.
In this operational role they will be on hand to lead and give responsive, inquiring guidance to the rest of the maintenance team, with commitment to safety, health, environment, quality and production.
You must live within 1 hour of Cockermouth and will be looking after Vestas, V47,V52, V105 and Nordex N60 full scope.
- Strong/Proven experience in Maintenance, establishing/managing internal and external relationships, and securing and maintaining a safe environment for all operations.
- Qualification in electrical and/or mechanical disciplines to NVQ3 level/HNC/HND (or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience). Engineering background desirable.
- Experience of overcoming challenges of working in a wind turbine environment.
- Strong commitment to safety, health, environment and quality.
- Excellent at building successful relationships (with external, peers, stakeholders and reporting line).
- Able to lead and coordinate an ad-hoc team for a specific achievement.
- Sound knowledge in the application of UK based Wind Turbine Safety Rules, and in industry standard High Voltage Operating procedures and safety rules.
- Strong understanding of the requirements for optimising the performance of a Wind Turbine Technician Team.
- Strong at managing and coaching people and the ability to communicate and pass on technical knowledge. Previous accreditation as AT/AE under WTSR an advantage.
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a defined benefit pension scheme, a business needs car, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
Although these roles are advertised on a full-time basis as standard, flexible working arrangements will be considered.
Why EDF Renewables?
EDF Renewables is part of one of the world's largest electricity companies and our investment and innovation in the UK is bringing down costs for consumers and bringing significant benefits for communities.
With our operating portfolio of 36 wind farms and battery storage unit (almost 1GW) across the UK, from the Scottish Highlands to Northamptonshire, we are providing some of the much needed new affordable, low carbon electricity to the UK.
Work is well underway on the 450 MW Neart Na Gaoithe offshore wind farm project which is in the Firth of Forth and we've extended our Edinburgh office to accommodate around 60 new team members.
We have more than 2 GW of renewables projects in planning and development and a quarter of those are consented. We also have offices in Rainton Bridge near Durham and in London.
We know our people are our most valuable asset and we work hard to create a great place to work. This means we're focused on creating an inclusive and fulfilling working environment, where everyone has a voice and the opportunity to thrive.