SMS Plc are leaders in the smart energy revolution, fitting over a million properties with smart meters and counting. At the heart of the UK energy market for over two decades, we play a critical role in transforming and decarbonising the UK energy system. We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride. The Role
An opportunity has become available for a project engineer to join our Major projects team at Cardiff . Reporting to the engineering manager , the project engineer will provide technical design consultancy services to SMS clients for utility connections and networks in the UK including: Design Services , Power Quality Surveys ,Load Flow, Fault Level and Protection Studies and Generator Compliance Studies. The project engineer will also :
- Provide design services for electricity distribution networks on behalf of Distribution Network Operators and private network operators up to and including 132kV.
- Design of “contestable works” under the National Electricity Registration Scheme (NERS) for new connections and diversionary works up to and including 132kV.
- Undertake general design duties within the renewable sector including the application for G99 connections, assisting with renewable site layouts and “post meter” electrical design.
- Provide electrical design support resource to other departments of SMS as directed by the Head of Engineering/Senior Project Engineer.
- Ensure that designs are “fit for purpose”, comply with legal and regulatory requirements and good industry practice, with particular emphasis on SHEQ compliance.
- Employ specifications that meet the customer’s requirements and/or minimum cost in a timely manner.
- Undertake a supporting role for the Head of Engineering in meeting financial and marketing objectives to ensure the profitability of the department is achieved.
- Acts as Design Engineer to undertake tasks assigned by the Head of Engineering or the Senior Project Engineer.
- Communicates with clients, DNO’s and service providers to obtain or relay technical and commercial aspects of engineering projects
- Identifies various technical solutions and undertakes feasibility studies to identify optimum engineering design to satisfy the client’s needs
- Provides technical guidance and additional resource to other departments within SMS
- Prepares detailed engineering design of engineering solutions for 132kV electricity networks and below, including overhead lines, underground cables and major substations.
- Prepares schedules of equipment and materials from client’s detailed specifications.
- Undertakes detailed LV network analysis for the effect of disturbing loads on LV and higher Voltage networks.
- Undertakes electrical network analysis of new utility connections, diversionary works and private networks for load flow, fault level and protection studies using WinDebut computer software
- Supports the Head of Engineering/Senior Project Engineer to prepare detailed designs of protection schematics, wiring schematics and cable schedules for control, alarms indications and automation of electrical networks
- Supports the Head of Engineering/Senior Project Engineer to prepare interface schedules for connection between substation equipment and SCADA systems.
- Prepares Proposals for Design Services to clients wishing to procure the design services of SMS
- Provides verification of CAD drawings of engineering solutions on behalf of Project Engineers or contractors as directed by the Head of Engineering/Senior Project Engineer.
- Attend design progress meetings with client as required
- Undertakes supporting role to engage with potential customers to secure repeat business opportunities with clients.
- Acknowledges the importance of Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality information, ensuring compliance with safe working practices and appropriate use of risk assessments.
- Maintains good working knowledge of relevant SHEQ Legislation, Technical Standards, IET Regulations (BS7671), Utility Policies and Procedures, Distribution Safety Codes etc.
- Conducts oneself and portrays oneself in a professional manner and demonstrates a positive image when representing SMS.
- Applies SMS policies and procedures in the preparation and completion of projects assigned by the Head of Engineering or the Senior Project Engineer.
- To engender a culture of cross functional knowledge sharing and team work across all departments of SMS
- To comply with all SMS plc Health, Safety and Environmental requirements
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD or similar drawing software.
- Able to organise and prioritise to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Customer Service
- Proficient in the use of WinDebut, Amtech and IPSA or equivalent would be desirable
- Excellent numerical reasoning and problem solving desirable
- Quality compliance desirable
- Experienced in the application of equipment and materials in Electrical Engineering Design up to 132kV
- Good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation, Regulations and Approved Codes of Practice
- Good knowledge of Power Industry Engineering Standards and Recommendations
- Experience of report writing and attending client progress meetings
- Experienced background specialising in Engineering Design of electrical power networks up to and including 132kV.
- Knowledge of the Electricity, Telecoms, Gas and Water Utilities Industries
- Basic knowledge of New Roads and Street Works Act, Traffic Management Act and associated Codes of Practice
- Education and Professional Qualifications
- Higher BTEC (level 5) in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent) is essential
- IOSH desirable
- Incorporated Engineer Status desirable
- Degree (or equivalent) in an electrical discipline would be desirable
- 25 personal days per year, with an additional allocation of 8 public holidays
- After 5 years of service you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave taking it to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Corporate season ticket travel
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme (will commence following 3 months employment)
- Eligibility to join the Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- We also have you covered with Life Insurance where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary