Strategy and Policy Analyst
Based in Hinckley
Competitive Salary plus bonus
Here at Cadent we’re at the start of a really exciting journey of transformation, growth and evolution. We’re new but we’re 200 years old. (You might have known us as part of National Grid but now we’ve transformed ourselves to Cadent). We’re the UK’s largest gas network connecting and keeping energy flowing to our customer’s 12 million homes and businesses across the UK. That’s half the UK, Not bad going really.
We’re proud of our story so far and we’re super powered up about what our future holds. That’s where you come in! Join us as we build our Future Gas Strategy team and play a key part in driving the future of our organisation.
About The Role
As our Strategy and Policy Analyst you`ll successfully influence and develop the future energy and net zero strategy that impacts upon Cadent. You`ll position the business as a highly credible thought leader relating to low carbon gases and the energy system transition. Alongside you`ll interface with specific key industry stakeholders and influencers, national and regional government bodies and agencies; working closely with both Regulatory and External Affairs teams to deliver specific outcomes.
Key accountabilities of the Strategy and Policy Analyst will include:• Supporting the development and implementation of the regulatory and market arrangements required to enable the transition to a net zero gas network
• Providing detailed, quality and robust economic, financial, commercial, regulatory and stakeholder energy sector analysis, to enable and support
• Developing the regulatory, commercial and market framework to deliver a transition to low carbon gases. To include HyNet, hydrogen, blending and biomethane
• Designing and influencing the regulatory, commercial and market framework to deliver 100% hydrogen and hydrogen blends
• Establishing and maintaining Cadent’s influential role in reactive and proactive industry and Government consultations on policy, code, methodology, licence, and other legislative changes
• Developing scenarios that can be used to design the future of gas network and operating regime, in cooperation with the other energy networks
• Developing and assessing transitional arrangements and support mechanisms
• Informing Cadent’s business strategy and business case development
• Tracking and communicating relevant wider European/Global energy transition progress
• Maintaining a fact base for hydrogen and other decarbonisation options and alternatives
• Developing Cadent ‘thought leadership’ material
• Developing and maintaining new financial /economic/commercial models to test impact of policy options and choices (for Cadent and consumers) including incentives
• Writing high quality and influential responses to Government consultations about specific policy items of interest, working with the Regulations function
• Maintaining the summary of all Cadent policy needs/requests in relation to Net Zero and hydrogen transition
• Providing consultancy support to regional teams and external stakeholders
• Building and maintaining a knowledge source to support policy development, strategy, business cases, presentations and other thought leadership initiatives and material
• Supporting and influencing the development of whole system planning framework across gas and electricity networks, including whole system initiatives and incentives
You’ll possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
• Degree level or experienced equivalent
• Good understanding of UK energy markets and regulated networks
• Excellent analytical skills and experience in building, populating and utilising robust and complex economic models
• Strong track record of effective presentation of complex analysis
• Technical and specialist experience in the energy regulatory framework and market arrangements
• Experience in engaging with and influencing Government policy development and industry consultations
• Excellent stakeholder management skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Creative thinking to drive innovative solutions and scenarios and influential thought leadership
BenefitsAt Cadent we’ve got a whole host of standard and flexible benefits. You’ll get 25 days holiday + statutory days with the option to buy/sell also, a generous pension plan as well as the opportunity to earn bonus. Flexible benefits include: cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car, insurance and healthcare packages plus access to our Occupational Health services.
Diversity and InclusionCadent has a commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, the more diverse our organisation is, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our communities in all their diversity. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people with a diverse variety of backgrounds; age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
We want our employees to achieve a work life balance and are happy to discuss flexible working options with you if the role can accommodate it.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process, please let us know. We’re committed to be Disability Confident in line with the department of work and pensions scheme.
Be part of something big. Join us and help shape the future of gas for generations to come.