Job Location: Dunoon
Salary: £10.66ph - £13.94ph (depending on skills and experience)
Working pattern: Permanent | Full Time, 37 hours
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public. During high winds and storms, trees can contact our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back to keep the lights on. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
Being part of a cyclical tree cutting programme, you will work with a highly skilled team to manage trees & vegetation near distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
Your Skills and Experience
- Previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience is also considered
- Holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would be highly advantageous
- You will be comfortable working outdoors.
- You should already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential
- Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- A full, current driving licence is beneficial as travel will be required
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally so this is key
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Good communication skills & comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Good organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Good customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
To see a snapshot of what a day in the life of a Tree Cutter looks like, please click on the link below:
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is in offer.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require to your application please get in touch. We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
The successful candidate will be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.