About the role:
We are seeking a Waste Installations Permitting Manager to lead a small team of technical specialists who ensure that Thames Water has the necessary Environmental Permits required to carry out our statutory functions and provide technical permitting advice relating to waste treatment activities. This is an exciting time to join the Permitting Team as an increasing proportion of our existing activities are newly captured by the Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR), such as combustion activities (incineration and combined heat and power plants) and sludge treatment centres (anaerobic digestion).
You will be responsible for leading the technical aspects of permitting requirements applied to the UK water industry, to ensure Thames Water’s asset base complies with UK legislation. Overseeing the permitting application process for our waste management operations and emissions to air from our waste and sludge activities, you will lead the relationship between the company and Environment Agency representatives.
You will work with the environmental and quality regulators and other key stakeholders to ensure that the business is kept up to date with the latest in regulatory developments, allowing risks to be managed.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Manage a small team of technical specialists to ensure Thames Water’s asset base complies with EPR and aligned UK.
- Co-ordinate the end-to-end application journey, ensuring permits are delivered in a timely manner to support the delivery of multi-million infrastructure upgrade projects.
- Act as the lead technical authority on waste installation regulatory regimes and application in the UK water industry.
- Focus on the compliance with permits and ensure the asset base is upgraded in line with legislative expectations and environmental standards.
- Interpret new and existing requirements of UK and European environmental legislation/regulations and communicate the impact of the changes.
- Review the external environmental regulatory landscape to update the business on emerging environmental regulatory risks.
- Provide advice and guidance on compliance monitoring and ensure permitted activities remain compliant with permit conditions.
- Co-ordinate the responses to environmental regulatory issues that have the potential to affect the regulatory compliance of the business.
- Embed the regulatory air and waste permitting requirements into the delivery of our industry-leading AMP7 programme.
- Act as Thames Water’s representative at industry forums and promote the Company’s expertise in the field of air and waste permitting.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in a scientific or environmental discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- A recognised ‘subject matter’ expert in the field of permitting for air emissions and waste management activities and associated legislation.
- Technical knowledge on the design and operation of incinerators, CHP units and anaerobic digesters.
- A proven track record of negotiating with the Environment Agency on matters such as Environmental Permits, specifically the application process for air and waste permits.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and communicate at all levels.
- A comprehensive understanding of both the regulation and legislation surrounding air and waste activities and how it impacts upon regulatory compliance.
- A high level of attention to detail and a logical, analytical mind.
- Ability to analyse, interpret and effectively communicate written data and information from diverse sources.
- Self-motivated and flexible with excellent organisation and prioritisation skills, particularly in a period of high uncertainty.
What's in it for you?
Environmental Permitting is core to our business; this role provides a unique opportunity to work in a fast-changing; dynamic and rewarding environment where you will have numerous opportunities to apply and expand your existing technical experience within a rapidly changing regulatory environment. You will have the chance to utilise your interest for environmental issues whilst providing practical guidance to operations and the rest of the business. The variety of activities and people you will be dealing with provides a very interesting and dynamic working atmosphere. A significant amount of time will be spent engaging with our regulator, the Environment Agency, both locally and at a national level. This brings the opportunity of influencing future environmental permitting implementation. You will be an ambassador for Thames Water in inter-water company and regulator communications; showcasing the best of our commitments to environmental regulation.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Click here to find out more about working at Thames Water
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.