Ecologist / Environmental Manager
Do you want to make a positive contribution to a broad portfolio of environmental improvement schemes? As our Ecologist, you’ll be at the heart of a team providing technical advice and practical support to new and existing mine water treatment and management schemes across Great Britain.
You’ll be supporting the non-coal (metal mines) and coal programmes, ensuring that appropriate ecological and environmental data is collected and utilised in the development of new mine water treatment schemes.
You’ll also act as a first point of contact and promoter for Coal Authority schemes and sites on matters relating to ecological and environmental management or protection (and improvement).
We're looking for a qualified ecologist with excellent interpersonal skills and extensive experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary team. It’s really important that you’re able to explain technical and regulatory issues to non-specialists and third parties in an easily understandable way. We want you to make a positive contribution to the design of new water treatment schemes and the operational management of a wide portfolio of established schemes.
- A degree in ecology or environmental science and training infield surveying, recording and reporting.
- Understanding of the execution of EIA and the implementation of recommended/required mitigation.
- Ability to interpret specialist ecological and environmental management information.
- Ability to specify and supervise the execution of specialist surveying and production of site management plans.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent IT skills.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- To determine the adequacy and appropriateness of ecological and environmental information provided to the Coal Authority by third party consultants and organisations, including regulatory bodies in England, Scotland, and Wales.
- To work with individual Project Managers providing advice and support relating to ecological and environmental constraints and opportunities affecting new mine water treatment schemes during scoping, feasibility and detailed design and planning application phases.
- To scope and procure specialist ecological surveying and protection works relating to new scheme designs or to operational site upgrades and refurbishments.
- To conduct site visits to complete inspections, to check on the installation, maintenance and performance of mine water treatment schemes with regard to ecological and environmental management.
-To attend pre-start and other liaison meetings on-site to discuss ecological and environmental protection and management issues with other specialists, project management personnel, regulators and other stakeholders (AONB / National Park Authorities / Rivers Trusts and similar).
-To develop and maintain an expert knowledge of ecological and environmental management design and procedures, to assist in keeping the Coal Authorities schemes up to date in terms of good practice as far as is practicable.
-To promote the Coal Authority as an expert by writing technical papers and giving presentations a appropriate.
- Part of the Technical Team of hydrological, hydrogeological, geochemical and process chemistry specialists. Day to day contact with the Projects Team and Mine Water Operations Team.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
The Coal Authority embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We're also happy to talk flexible working, so please let us know if this is something you're interested in knowing more about this means flexible working, full-time, job share or part-time.
We are happy to make changes to our recruitment process to support candidates who may need reasonable adjustments.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application or to attend an interview, please get in touch! We'll be happy to talk to you and find a suitable alternative.