Head of Operations
Do you want to help shape the world’s energy future?
My client is one of the fastest growing renewable energy companies in the UK.
Reporting to my client’s Board, the Head of Operations is responsible for overseeing all day-to-day activities and operations of the Solar Construction business team. Ultimately responsible for managing all aspects of implementing and constructing solar projects. Overseeing multiple projects at a time. Responsible for the overall administrative direction of site operations as well as planning, coordinating and directing the entire construction effort to ensure each project is constructed in accordance with design, budget and schedule.
The Head of Operations will have a background in Solar Farm construction. You will head-up and manage the operations team based in the Exeter office working alongside the Head of Technical Services and Principle Engineer.
- Detailed scope, schedule and budget management and controls for each project, through a detailed tendering process
- Develop a detailed employer’s requirement for each project
- Collaborate with the Design, O&M and Technical services teams to ensure operations will meet all obligations/performance guarantees and company standards
- Customer and subcontractor contract management
- Manage external parties like public authorities, grid operator and others
- Hire, manage and measure resources including labour, equipment and subcontractors
- Measure, and report progress towards project goals, to include time frame and cost to the board
- Manage and mentor your team
- Maximise resource efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure site safety and security
- Ensure proper closure and project handover to the O&M team
- Implement project management systems
- Provide a training program for your team in line with their agreed development review
- Implement communications system to ensure all relevant parties are kept up to date
- Comply with all required fire, health and safety requirements for the environment in which you and your team are working, including making yourself aware of the current applicable policies and risk assessments and acting accordingly, and attending any required training. Implementation and maintenance of job specific RAMS and COSHH Assessments to ensure company adherence to HSE requirements
- Regular review of project financial performance
- Maintain strong financial transparency in all relationships with Management
- Identify opportunities for improvements in operations that will translate to bottom line results
- Anticipate and minimise cost overruns
- Meet or beat project budgets
- Increase gross profit margins on construction projects
Business Development Support
- Support business development in the proposal process to ensure customer deadlines are met
- Participate in proposal interviews and meetings, as required
- Follow safety and security procedures and determine appropriate action
- Report potentially unsafe conditions and use materials and equipment properly
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of project execution, cost reporting, forecasting, tracking, scheduling and overall construction operations
- Track record of building, leading, and managing construction teams
- Track record of directing, measuring, and reporting progress towards project goals
- Understanding of project accounting and controls
- Risk assessment policies and procedures
Ideally You Will Have The Following
- BA Hons Degree in engineering or construction, or equivalent relevant experience
- Over 5 years’ experience of utility-scale solar construction project
Rewards & Benefits
Our client offers a highly competitive salary along with a range of exciting benefits. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an ambitious business with significant growth plans ahead. My client offers a lot of training as well as great scope for progression and reward. You will have significant input into the growth and development of the business.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.