Senior Environmental Advisor
As a Senior Environmental Advisor you will act as a source of environmental expertise leading on the delivery of better environmental outcomes. You will be responsible for providing advice across a range of environmental topics, specifically environmental impact assessments, and appraisals, design and technical advice and supporting projects through the planning process. Working at a regional level, you will provide technical advice to lead the development and maintenance of Highways England assets across a variety of projects, developing and applying your understanding of the relevant statutory requirements, external standards and good environmental design principles.
What you’ll be leading on
- Providing accurate, practical and timely technical advice (including reviews and governance) to support colleagues in resolving technical issues, focusing particularly on environmental impact assessment and environmental appraisal
- Act as a source of environmental subject matter expertise; to provide appropriate advice and guidance to Highways England, its contractors and suppliers and to support colleagues in resolving technical issues and in their personal development
- Internal and external stakeholder engagement to promote and gain commitment to delivering better environmental outcome and identify key areas for improvement
- Lead on the development and implementation of activities in line with our Sustainable Development and Environment strategies
- Contribute to the development of external standards through attendance at technical and standards committees, steering groups, conferences, seminars and workshops
To be successful
- Full membership (or working towards) a relevant professional institution, or relevant qualifications and evidence of professional development
- Specialist knowledge, understanding and experience of environmental impact assessment, appraisal or planning including relevant work experience in environmental assessment, appraisal, design or planning
- Ability to demonstrate better environmental outcomes, efficiencies and value for money across a programme of projects
- Ability to use a combination of general and specialist knowledge and understanding to optimise the solutions to complex environmental issues involving significant levels of risk.
- Ability to work effectively with others to support the delivery of improved environmental outcomes, whilst dealing constructively with setbacks.
A bit about us
Safety, Engineering and Standards (SES) is an exciting place to work. SES key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety. If you are looking for a challenging, exhilarating and world class organisation then join one of our dedicated, professional teams leading on technical services, health and safety, sustainability and diversity agendas for Highways England.
Why you should join us (Fixed)
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally (Fixed)
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.