Senior Renewable Energy Analyst (WindGEMINI Product Lead)
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 15,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL – Energy, with more than 2,300 experts in over 30 countries around the world, is committed to driving the global transition toward a safe, reliable, efficient, and clean energy future.
The Renewable Energy Analytics team provides a range of data analysis services and products that span the entire wind or solar project lifecycle. These services are based on over 30 years’ experience and more than 300 GW of projects. Our recognised excellence and independence makes us the preferred consultancy of many industry players. The multidisciplinary team is composed of about 45 engineers and analysts, responsible for providing consultancy services for pre-construction and operational renewables assets. Services include pre and post construction energy assessments, site meteorological conditions assessments, online meteorological data management, measurement campaign specifications, performance monitoring, reliability analysis, day ahead forecasting and turbine inspections.
Our customers are developers, banks, investment firms, utilities, energy traders and independent owners and operators. Geographically the team is primarily focused on the Northern European, Middle East and Africa markets, but also serving global markets for day-ahead forecasting and WindGEMINI (online digital twin) services.
We are now looking to expand our team with the recruitment of one senior level engineer/ analyst. The successful applicant will undertake wind energy assessments and site meteorological conditions work for both onshore and offshore wind farms at the pre-construction and post-construction stage. This will involve analysis of high resolution meteorological data, assessment of SCADA and other wind farm datasets, and writing high quality reports.
The objective of the work is to enable customers, and interested third parties, to understand the expected energy output of a project and optimise its performance.
The senior engineer will also take the role of technical and business lead for our WindGEMINI offering. WindGEMINI is an online digital twin which analyses wind turbine data to provide our customers with 24/7 access to advanced wind turbine condition and performance analytics, enabling them to make informed wind operation decisions
The role can be based out of our offices in Bristol or Glasgow preferably. However, there will be a possibility to be based out of our offices in London, Stockholm or Dublin, depending on the level of experience and training needs of the applicant.
This is a full time position. Working hours are flexible, with starting times between 8.00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m., 37.5h per week (if based in UK), Monday - Friday.
Duties will include:
- Undertake pre or post-construction energy production assessments which include the following:
- wind data or turbine data processing and quality checking
- correlation analysis
- wind flow and wake modelling
- review of energy losses
- statistical analysis
- report writing
- Undertake site conditions assessments which include elements of the above but also a review of:
- extreme wind speed
- ambient and wake induced turbulence intensity
- wind shear
- temperature range
- Produce detailed reports which review the feasibility of sites for development which may include:
- feasibility studies
- site meteorological measurements
- shadow flicker assessments
- noise modelling
- visual impact assessments
- Short-term forecasting
- SCADA analysis
- Monitoring the performance of operating wind farms for owners and lenders
- Proposal writing
- Participate in R&D projects as and when required
- Project management, including budget control
- Lead the global WindGEMINI offering. This will include:
- Manage a virtual team of analysts within the team to ensure appropriate technical development of the service
- Manage a virtual team of ambassadors in other regions to ensure appropriate business development across all regions
- Coordinate business development activities within the region
- Report to Head of Department and other interested parties on both technical and business progress of the offering
- Coordinate with the financial team and Head of Department for financial control of the service
- Participate in industry groups and present at conferences as appropriate
- Any other duties as directed by line management.
We're looking for the successful applicants to start in early 2019.
Applicants must have:
- A degree in a relevant field such as mechanical and environmental engineering, meteorology, physics or mathematics, with a 2.1 degree classification or above
- A strong interest in the renewable energy sector
- Aptitude for statistical analysis of data
- An interest in and aptitude for programming and databases
- Good organisational skills and ability to work in a pressurised consultancy environment to deliver high quality work
- The ability to write clear and accurate reports in English
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to develop and enjoy taking on challenges and responsibilities
- For the senior position, applicants must have demonstrable work experience in the field of wind farm operational data analysis
- Senior engineer must also have demonstrable experience in either team or project management, and a willingness to undertake these tasks.
Please note we may close this position earlier in case of finding successful candidates.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Closing Date: 28 December 2018
Please Click 'Apply' for further details