Principal Consultant – International Climate Change
Overview of the Role
Aether is expanding its international climate team. Working with our company Directors you will take the lead in winning and managing international projects related to monitoring, reporting and verification of climate action.
Aether undertakes projects for national and subnational governments internationally as well as with non-government organisations. We focus on encouraging and tracking climate action and other sustainable development goals through capacity building and bespoke services. Your role will be to broaden and expand our customer base, develop innovative customer focussed products and services, and ensure high quality delivery to your customers.
In this role you will build on both your technical experience of monitoring national and city-scale climate action and your commercial experience of networking and business development. You will help to develop and deliver a strong offering to our customers, through our specialist MRV services including GHG inventories, projections, climate actions and wider impacts. This will involve the use of Aether’s data tools and capacity building techniques as well as developing new methods for supporting these activities. You will work with and be supported by our highly skilled junior and senior technical and data experts in delivering your projects to a high degree of customer satisfaction.
Desired technical knowledge
- An excellent grounding in a broad range of climate change and sustainable development issues, and recognised as an expert in your field;
- A broad understanding of both mitigation and adaptation action and how they can be linked to wider Sustainable Development Goals;
- A clear understanding of the Paris Agreement, the evolving transparency and MRV structures and the associated data requirements;
- An understanding of climate finance for climate action is also beneficial.
Desired experience and skills
- Educated to at least degree level in a scientific subject (MSc preferred) with excellent numerical and data handling skills;
- 10+ years’ experience in the climate change technical area;
- Extensive track record of working with GHG emissions data and MRV projects internationally;
- Clear demonstration of the ability to undertake strategic business planning, win new contracts and deliver successful outcomes;
- Excellent customer facing and stakeholder engagement skills, including working within different cultural environments;
- Current experience of defining customer needs, presenting solutions and an understanding of the means to acquire funding to establish and implement projects;
- A strong track record of project management and delivery including written reports, provision of datasets, delivery of presentations and leading successful capacity building;
- Respected in your field with a well-developed network of international customers and collaborators;
- Willingness to travel overseas on a regular basis.
Working for Aether
We are a UK-based consultancy, with a global reach in the climate change and air quality fields. We have built a strong reputation with customers and collaborators around the world by delivering innovation and technical excellence. Aether provides specialised expertise to the UNFCCC, European Commission, European Environment Agency, the UK Government, and developing and developed countries. Our work is focused on the compilation, reporting and review of greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions, and we provide associated consultancy in other areas such as policy development, emissions projections and also air quality assessments.
Aether is committed to bringing the best technical knowledge and data management to deliver exceptional services and enable our customers to make good decisions. We have a strong company ethos, which ensures that we are open and transparent with our customers and build long-term relationships.
We have a dynamic and supportive working environment, and reward individuals who make positive contributions to our work. Aether Directors actively support a healthy work-life balance for our staff. We operate as a carbon neutral company and financially incentivise staff to choose low carbon travel options.
Salary: Dependent on experience
Location: Oxford or can be flexible including regular visits to Oxford
Bonuses: We operate a performance related bonus scheme
Annual leave: 32 days (bank holidays included)
Environmental leave: Up to three days/year volunteering for environmental good causes
Low carbon travel scheme: Financial incentives for selecting low carbon travel
Company recreational days: Recreational days are organised typically once or twice/year
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.