Senior/Principal Economist - Environmental Policy
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have an opportunity for a senior or principal economist to support a range of exciting and innovative environmental policy projects within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice as well as working across the business to provide economics support to other teams. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank and World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of environmental policy.
Economic analysis is a critical component of the services we provide. You will be involved in policy impact assessments, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and evaluation. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures.
The role will support a diverse range of areas including air quality and emissions, industrial pollution control, water, climate change adaptation and mitigation, energy, waste and resource efficiency, agriculture and chemicals management. In response to our recent successes and growing demand for economics support from across the business we are growing our team to support delivery and further expansion.
We are looking for a Senior or Principal Economist to join our dynamic team. Our work is focused on strategic policy advice covering a very wide range of issues. You will work on high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy decisions, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the economy, the environment and society.
You will have the capacity to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas and will collaborate closely with technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should also enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Ideally, you will have experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such as development banks, the European Commission and national governments. The successful candidate must have an aptitude for solving complex problems that feature economic analysis, and actively enjoy working on a wide range of topics that may initially be unfamiliar to them.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
- Designing, structuring and applying economic analysis to a wide range of policy problems across multiple topic areas
- Leading, managing and contributing to complex proposals and projects where there is a strong focus on economic and wider quantitative analysis
- Working effectively as team member on a range of projects and proposals
- Providing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports, as well as contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings and conferences
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least Master’s degree level - studies could be a combination of economics, engineering and science and/or environment with a significant focus on economics.
- Candidates must demonstrate sufficient experience to show the required competencies, either through consulting work or in a related area.
- Previous experience in consultancy and managing European Commission and/or UK Government projects would be desirable.
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is desirable
- An understanding of European and/or international environmental policy issues, gained during studies or work experience
- Demonstrable experience in some of the following:
- Policy cycle (ex ante impact assessment of policies and regulations; policy development and implementation, ex post evaluation of policies and programmes)
- Tools and methods: survey design and execution, market analysis, cost-benefit analysis; data-collection, validation and analysis; stakeholder consultation
Skills and behaviours:
- Highly numerate, with a track record in carrying out complex quantitative analysis
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Strong project management skills
- Accurate and attentive to detail
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Effective oral and written communication, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience essential and proficiency in using statistical or mathematical software is desirable
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.