Develop, maintain and enhance environmental stewardship within the campus community and among its constituencies.
- Manage existing sustainability efforts and identify/research potential new, cost-effective, sustainability opportunities for the University.
- Manage waste and recycling programs to be cost effective and improve waste diversion.
- Manage utility program including monitoring and analyzing electricity and gas and cost data and making program recommendations.
- Monitor and track water usage to quantify University’s water conservation efforts and develop additional water conservation programs.
- Develop, promote, and implement campus sustainability programs and events.
- Teach/educate members of the campus community on issues regarding sustainability and to encourage the adoption of behaviors that will promote a sustainable society.
- Manage and report progress and participation in the Second Nature Carbon Commitment (previously ACUPCC).
- Provide administrative support and guidance to the University’s Sustainability Advisory Board.
- Maintain and update University’s sustainability website and social media platforms.
- Research current campus sustainability beliefs, behaviors, and trends as well as potential opportunities for change and improvement independently and with faculty/students partners.
- Partner with stakeholders and community members including students, faculty, staff, city programs, and local universities to develop new sustainability programs and initiatives.
- Supervise and schedule student staff to collect and empty recycling bins and complete office tasks as required. Coordinate pick up and collection cycles for waste and recycle bins. Provide safety training for student employees.
- Oversee University’s community garden and supervise the student garden manager.
- Share University’s progress and accomplishments in sustainability through public presentations to audiences ranging from students to corporations.
- Identify and participate in various local, state, and national sustainability recognition programs.
- Solicit, document, and help publicize on-campus sustainable development topics.
- Advise Associate Vice President of Campus Facilities & Sustainability on current local, national, and global sustainability and environmental issues.
- Perform general administrative work and other responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Preferred two years of experience in sustainability program support or management in a similar field of work.
- Must have an understanding of and commitment to the spiritual mission of the university.
- Must have a strong service orientation and commitment to exceptional customer service.
- Requires strong computer skills.
- Must have the ability to track and manage budgets.
- Must have the ability to supervise and motivate student staff.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in utility analysis and projection preferred.
The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Vision to read documents, e-mail and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day.