Senior Environmental & Social Specialist
Wardell Armstrong LLP is a successful multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy with 14 offices throughout the UK and two international cased offices employing nearly 500 staff.
Senior Environmental & Social Specialist position available in Newcastle upon Tyne
As one of the UK’s leading environmental and engineering consultancies, Wardell Armstrong LLP are looking to appoint a Senior Environmental Scientist (within the Environmental Management & Planning Service Area). The central focus of this senior role is to undertake environmental & social assessment and due diligence studies in the UK, Europe and within emerging International markets, particularly Middle East and North Africa. The role will fit within two teams that overlap to a degree; the first role is UK based, working with specialists based in our Newcastle, Legh and Stoke offices. The second role on International markets, working closely with specialists in our Truro office. Day to day management of your time would through a team based in the Newcastle upon Tyne office.
The preferred candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Undertake air quality assessments, principally from point source emission using computer programmes such as Aermod and ADMS.
- Assess the impact of emissions to air on humans and ecological receptors and prepare reports for Environmental Statements, Planning Submissions and Permits Applications.
- Prepare environmental permit applications for waste management facilities.
- Prepare for and audit projects subject to finance to identify environmental and social risks, reported through due diligence and action plans prepared for lenders and their advisors.
- Assist in the preparation of environmental and social impact assessments.
- Coordination and input to development of business in the renewable energy and mining sectors within the Middle East and North Africa.
Candidates should have experience in many or all the above areas with an ability to understand and manage the inter-relationships between such technical areas of expertise. They should be able to assist in the coordination of all aspects of desk studies, site analysis, community engagement, together with interpretation and reporting findings. The candidate should also be able to demonstrate an understanding of the UK waste and industrial sector and the international renewable energy and mining sectors.
First and foremost, this position requires a client focussed and outward facing specialist who has the drive and determination to work on a diverse portfolio of projects. The person should be used to, or demonstrate the capability, to work and add value to existing and new clients in the sectors described.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience of building client relationships, together with excellent project management skills and an ability to deliver results to client programme and on budget. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the drive and willingness to work closely with specialists in located in our UK and International offices.
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities:
- A first degree in Environmental Science / Technology and an MSc in either EIA, Pollution Control and Abatement or International Environmental Studies and have at least 7 year’s relevant experience;
- Either working towards or have chartered status as an Environmentalist, Environmental Health, or related professional organisation;
- Demonstrate experience of community engagement related to complex projects, such as mining to comply with relevant International standards
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following:
- An excellent working knowledge of air quality objectives, UK, Europe and other relevant International Standards.
- An excellent working knowledge of the UK environmental permitting regime and demonstrate knowledge of address client requirements identified through permitting process with the Environment Agency, principally bio-energy, waste and industrial emissions to air.
- Ability to communicate scientific and technical information to clients, regulatory bodies and stakeholders through reports, public hearing and workshops.
- Relevant experience and capability to undertake environmental and social due diligence studies to Equator Principles, International Performance Standards and Regulations within the renewable energy and mining sectors.
- Willing to travel at short notice both within the UK and Internationally to undertake due diligence, audits and analysis of environmental impact assessments.
A full driving licence and prepared to travel and work remotely from the office.
- Membership of the Firm’s Group Personal Pension Plan, with Employer’s contribution of up to 5%;
- Payment of a professional subscription;
- 24 days annual leave per year (bank holidays excluded),
- Single membership to the Firm’s Private Health Care Scheme currently provided by AVIVA;
- Inclusion in the Firm’s Permanent Health Insurance Policy;
- Inclusion in the Firm’s Life Assurance Policy given as 3 times annual salary;
- Mobile Phone with inclusive tariff including personal usage;
- Flexi- Time Working Schedule.
- Long service awards – annual leave
- Childcare Vouchers
- Travel Loans
Salary Range: up to £30,000 per annum.
Closing date for applications: 16 March 2018