Senior/Principal Environmental Scientist - Hydro-Ecology
6 days left
- Career Level
- Experienced (non manager)
Job Advert Description
My client is a leading multidisciplinary consultancy combining energy, climate change, and environmental expertise with strong IT and economics capability. They are now looking for an establsihed Environmental Scientist based in Glasgow, Guildford, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire or Bristol.
Their Water and Environment practice offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. They have a global reputation for their expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects.
- Provide expert advice and technical input into hydro-ecological investigations including provision of strategic technical direction to developing appropriate assessment methods, carrying out complex data analysis, providing support to junior staff to develop their skills and support/manage sub-consultancy activities.
- Undertake, produce and technically review hydro-ecological assessments of a wide variety of activities.
- Liaise with clients and a wide range of external stakeholders including regulators and NGOs
- Overall project management and coordination of projects.
- Mentor more junior colleagues in all aspects of consultancy
- Liaise with others across all levels of the business to identify opportunities and support ambitions.
- Lead on a range of bids, including large and complex proposals
- Develop follow-on work and new opportunities as they arise from existing clients and projects.
Key competencies and experience:
- A thorough and sound understanding of freshwater and estuarine habitats and ecology - and most importantly how these are affected by hydrological and geomorphological variability and water quality pressures and be able to quantify these effects.
- Competence in carry out hydro-ecological assessments in the context of UK aquatic systems for a wide variety of activities, including: EIA, abstraction and discharge schemes, infrastructure developments, flood defence/river management schemes, river restoration schemes and marine licensing.
- A good understanding of water management, water industry principles, environmental legislation (especially Habitats Directive and WFD compliance) and planning processes (e.g. EIA).
- A degree in a relevant subject, such as Environmental or Physical Sciences, Geography, Ecology or Biology and ideally a postgraduate degree with a specific hydro-ecological element.
- Ideally chartered membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. CIWEM or CIEEM), or actively working towards full chartered status.
- Experience of stakeholder communications and dialogue.
- Experience in the preparation of proposals and tenders.
- Experience of planning and conducting field surveys, such as River Habitat Survey, River corridor Survey, hydraulic cross-section surveys, continuous water quality monitoring programmes and providing mitigation recommendations would be a distinct advantage.
Skills and behaviours:
- The ability to think innovatively and strategically to address complex challenges
- The ability to interpret and assess complex hydro-ecological data sets.
- Excellent team working and strong communication skills.
- Excellent regulatory and stakeholder engagement skills to explain complex issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in a busy and demanding business environment.
- Excellent report writing ability together with strong bid-writing skills.
- Good IT skills in commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Office, internet, email, GIS and statistical packages to support hydro-ecological assessments.
To find out more, call Josh Blanchard on 01202 888986 today!
Apply for Senior/Principal Environmental Scientist - Hydro-Ecology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly