Senior / Principal Planner
JACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors. It is a leading service provider in planning and environmental consultancy and advice, supporting projects at all stages from initial conception through to construction and maintenance, across the UK and internationally.
Our Sustainable Solutions business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a Senior / Principal Planner. The successful individual will support a range of projects for clients in major public and private sector organisations and will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Our work of providing Planning services is of critical importance to our clients, local communities and industry, ensuring that major projects can proceed to successful planning outcomes, whilst utilising best practice and creative approaches to problem solving. Our Planning discipline currently comprises more than 20 Town Planners based in key strategic locations across the UK, providing technical support to a wide range of development projects especially large infrastructure and public building schemes. This team continues to grow in line with increases in workload.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there. The successful candidates will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
- Working as part of the planning team to deliver a range of planning projects. This will include working alongside and potentially project managing other disciplines as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Writing and reviewing planning deliverables to a very high standard. This includes high level options appraisals, preparing and reviewing documents for planning applications or development consent orders, and planning policy preparation and advice.
- Project managing and co-ordinating the preparation of planning applications identifying potential health and safety hazards of specific projects and demonstrating a commitment to your own safety and that of those around you.
- Helping with or leading on the preparation of work proposals and work specifications.
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues.
- Supporting additional work opportunities to the Planning team through building strong relationships with our existing internal and external client base;;
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems.
- Where appropriate, responsibility for the financial monitoring of projects, document control, progress reporting and other project management tasks.
- A good degree qualification in a relevant planning (RTPI accredited) or related degree.
- Chartered Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI).
- Recent development management or development planning experience in public or private sectors.
- Project management of town planning and related environmental assessments as part of TCPA or DCO applications
- An excellent understanding of current town planning issues and the town planning process especially with regard to major development schemes and infrastructure projects;
- Strong technical ability preferably with experience in planning policy, planning applications and related areas including EIA and other Impact Assessments.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Strong organisational and numerical skills.
- Strong team working capabilities.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to apply knowledge to practical situations.
- A focus on results and project delivery.
- Commercial focus.
- Experience of working on development or infrastructure projects in Greater London.
- The candidate should be willing to work out of other JACOBS’ offices in the UK as required.
- Have the flexibility to work in other disciplines related to planning, in particular an interest or experience of working in one or more of the following: Strategic Environmental Assessment, public consultation, socio-economic assessment or master planning.
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you’ll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who are seeking reduced hours contracts. Consideration will be given to each application on a case by case basis.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.