Climate Resilience & Sustainability - Technical Director
Our team is at the forefront of providing technical, operational and strategic climate, sustainability, economic, environmental and policy advice on the development and implementation of climate change strategies, climate resilience and sustainable development policy. As well as climate and sustainability, the team focuses on air quality, chemicals, water policy, infrastructure and sustainable development. We work with international agencies, governments, investment banks, trade associations, multi-national companies and corporations, the European Commission, and government departments in the UK, Europe, the Americas and across the world.
Our projects directly help to influence and strengthen the development, implementation and improvement of environmental and climate strategies and policy, sustainability, climate resilience and climate finance addressing some of the most challenging global issues.
Examples of recent projects around the world include: Water Resources Management; Urban Design, Master Planning and Implementation; Major Infrastructure Development; Strategic Flood Risk Assessments; Seismic Resilience, Structural Assessment and Retrofits; Historic Rehabilitation and Storm Surge Mitigation; Assessment of Climate and Energy Reporting Requirements; Local Hazard Mitigation Plans; Resilient Cities Planning; Climate Adaptation and Climate Finance Advisory Services for Investment, Insurance and Banking; Sustainable Development; Environmental Impact Assessment and Climate Resilience Strategy Development.
Working as a senior expert and a leader within and across international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will provide climate resilience, adaptation and sustainability implementation and analyses; evaluate and enact existing policy and technical measures; support cost-benefit analyses and resilience engineering, carry out stakeholder consultations and successfully deliver cross-sectoral projects. You will have the ability to manage projects, draft, edit, finalise and review reports, manage budgets and proposal development and deliver verbal presentations in English to a high standard.
Alongside project delivery, we are seeking someone who can manage and oversee individual and multiple projects simultaneously, lead a multi-disciplinary team, work closely and collaboratively with senior colleagues, write winning proposals, contribute toward business development and client-facing activities and aid the development of more junior colleagues.
The ideal candidate will be qualified to a Master's degree level or above in a climate-related discipline; sustainability; environmental economics, climate science, policy, social sciences, engineering, geography or a closely related subject. We would expect considerable relevant experience within consultancy, government, research and/or industry.
You will have competence and experience in the majority of the following areas:
- Knowledge of climate projections and the science underlying them
- Knowledge and experience in the analysis and delivery of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Ability to analyse and interpret climate projections for application in a climate resilience assessment (of infrastructure, of geographic regions, of policies and/or other business units)
- Ability to communicate key messages from climate projections to non-technical audiences (including communicating probability),
- Familiarity with UKCP09 climate projections and their application,
- Knowledge of and experience in sustainable development and the issues, challenges and opportunities surrounding sustainability across multiple sectors
- Knowledge of key climate impacts, risks and adaptation strategy and/or policy solution development
- Conducting climate change risk assessments and/or climate resilience analyses; sustainable development analysis and delivery; identifying climate risks for a variety of business areas i.e. delivery of a service, and/or physical infrastructure development and/or for geographic areas
- Implementation of climate resilience and/or adaptation measures in a commercial and/or public sector setting
- Flexibility to take on work in other areas to balance work load as necessary such as policy (climate mitigation or adaptation, air quality, chemicals, energy), water management, or other areas within the Amec Foster Wheeler business
- Climate finance.
- Identify, write and manage proposal development to bid for and secure new work
- Generate new business leads and identify opportunities for new service offerings
- Develop existing and new client relationships
- Scope, plan, monitor and execute project methodologies
- Client and subcontractor communication and management
- Organisation of staff resources, including coordination across multiple projects to set priorities
- Ability to plan ahead and work to deadlines
- Set, manage and monitor project budgets and expenses
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Additional European language or other language skills desirable
- Ability to interface with clients and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven analytical and data manipulation skills
- Clear and effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive networker in the climate science, sustainability, mitigation and adaptation areas
- Commercial and entrepreneurial acumen
- Self-motivated and ability to work autonomously
- Proven leadership experience and expertise
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Proven international experience, sensitivities and understanding of differing cultural mores
You should have the ability to interact with clients and policy makers at national and/or international level and to write reports in English to a professional standard.
It would be advantageous to demonstrate experience of the following:
Familiarity with UK / European / UN and international guidance on application of climate projections, climate risk and sustainable development in different settings, e.g. town and country planning, Environment Agency flood risk assessment requirements, energy/nuclear safety planning requirements, Environmental Impact Analysis. Familiarity with the process of policy development and implementation; evaluation of technical and policy measures; cost-benefit analysis; data collection, validation and analysis.
Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors.
Employing around 35,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2016 revenues of £5.4 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry - from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products - and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets. Amec Foster Wheeler offers full life-cycle services to offshore and onshore oil and gas projects (conventional and unconventional, upstream, midstream and downstream) for greenfield, brownfield and asset support projects, plus leading refining technology.
Amec Foster Wheeler shares are publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange and its American Depositary Shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Both trade under the ticker AMFW.