Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting a Principal Consultant Water Scientist to support our Water Management and Environmental Assessment groups deliver a number of high profile projects across sectors including nuclear, renewables, other power, industry, minerals, waste and property sectors. You will have an understanding of industrial processes and their regulation in the context of aqueous discharges and knowledge of water quality and regulatory standards in the UK. Ideally you will have experience in providing the water quality assessments to inform Water Framework Directive Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments and Reports for Environmental Permits for water discharges to the surface water environment (fresh waters and marine).
Experience in preparing proposals, managing large project budgets, business development and management and in client and consultee liaison would be an advantage. We are looking for an individual with a successful track record in managing and delivering high quality technical work.
This key role offers excellent opportunities for progression. We offer a competitive salary package, technical/management training and exposure to a broad range of project types, working closely with other environmental disciplines.
Location is flexible across our Bristol, Leamington, London, Shrewsbury, Knutsford, Birchwood (Warrington) or Newcastle (Gosforth) offices.
You will work closely with other members of our Water Management and Environmental Assessment teams and have responsibility for delivering water quality related assessments to inform Water Framework Directive Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments and Reports for Environmental Permits.
Skills / Qualifications
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in water chemistry, environmental chemistry, process chemistry or a related subject.
- An MSc or PhD in a relevant subject relating to the water environment would be beneficial.
- You will have managed projects, won water quality assessment work in a competitive environment and have strong experience in regulatory and environmental assessments in the surface water environment.
- Experience in working in a water analytical laboratory would be beneficial.
- Experience in hydromorphological assessments and/or knowledge of biological assessments of water quality would be beneficial.
- Experience of work in both marine and freshwater systems would be an advantage.
- Membership of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) would also be beneficial.
- A valid UK driving licence is essential for this role, as is the flexibility to work away on site occasionally.
Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors.
Employing around 36,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2015 revenues of £5.5 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry - from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products - and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
Amec Foster Wheeler offers full life-cycle services to offshore and onshore oil and gas projects (conventional and unconventional, upstream, midstream and downstream) for greenfield, brownfield and asset support projects, plus leading refining technology.
Amec Foster Wheeler shares are publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange and its American Depositary Shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Both trade under the ticker AMFW.