Principal Geo-Environmental Engineer / Scientist
Meet our team and hear about projects and full/part-time career opportunities.
Recruitment Open Evening - Thursday 18th May 2017 from 5pm - 7:30pm
Join Jacobs at: Jury’s Inn, 1 Park Place, Cardiff CF10 3UD
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors worldwide.
Our ‘Innovative Sustainable Solutions’ unit comprising 700 environmental staff provides advice for our clients on sustainability and environmental issues. Our work providing environmental services is of critical importance to the general public and industry, ensuring that major projects can proceed without significant environmental detriments.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a Principal Geo-environmental Engineer / Scientist. The successful person will become part of a highly respected Land Quality team. The team provides strategic advice and innovative solutions to manage our clients’ subsurface environmental liabilities; and includes technical specialists in the fields of land contamination assessment, hydrogeology, and landfill engineering.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there. The successful candidates will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Responsibilities will include:
As a Jacobs’ geo-environmental engineer / scientist you will report to the local team lead in the Cardiff home office. You will be providing support and advice to the wider Jacobs business, as well as being involved in providing technical leadership to the Team in the Cardiff office and beyond, developing business and managing the projects you are involved with.
You will need to provide support to a range of multi-disciplinary project teams and to raise the profile of the Land Quality team with existing and new clients and other groups including other disciplines within the Jacobs team. You will lead or assist in the delivery of geo-environmental input to projects and will also be required to provide technical guidance, training and support to junior staff. Your main responsibilities will depend on specific project requirements but are likely to include:
- Project delivery
- Preparing and reviewing technical reports and deliverables
- Undertaking qualitative and quantitative risk assessments and evaluations
- Managing the procurement and implementation of intrusive ground investigations
- Managing site reconnaissance and monitoring activities, including ground gas monitoring and groundwater sampling
- Undertaking relevant aspects of Environmental Impact Assessments
- Planning, designing and implementing remediation strategies and associated mitigation measures
- Liaison with relevant regulatory authorities and other stakeholders
- Business development and supporting the growth of the Land Quality team in Cardiff
- Staff management, mentoring and training
- An honours degree in a relevant subject, and be chartered or approaching chartered status with a relevant professional body.
- Good all-round technical expertise in geo-environmental engineering
- Relevant post-graduate experience ideally with involvement in the context of infrastructure and development projects including Environmental Impact Assessment.
- A good foundation in site investigation, risk assessment, report writing, remediation design, groundwater remediation, and ground gas evaluation.
- The ability to progress projects from inception to closure. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team as well as supporting teams in your area of expertise with the confidence of those working above and below you. You will need to be a team player, capable of developing a network of contacts with clients and within the wider Jacobs team.
- Willing to work away from your base office
- Possess a high level of personal responsibility and show an adaptable and flexible approach to a range of project requirements.
- Commercial awareness.
- The ability to produce well-presented and accurate reports.
- Experience of the remediation of contaminated soils and groundwater
- Experience of large infrastructure projects in the transport, development and water sectors
- Experience of Environmental Impact Assessment in the context of the DCO and other development consent processes
- Experience of work on defence and nuclear sites
- Experience of hydrogeology
- Experience of project management
- Experience of business development
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. What sets us apart is our absolute belief in the power of our people and our Beyond Zero initiative, which instils a ‘Culture of Caring’ for staff in everything they do. We believe that you’ll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who are seeking reduced hours contracts. Consideration will be given to each application on a case by case basis.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.