Principal Ecologist / Ornithologist
Meet our teams and hear about projects and full/part-time career opportunities
Recruitment Open Evening - Thursday 18th May 2017 from 5pm - 7:30pm
Join Jacobs at: Jury’s Inn, 1 Park Place, Cardiff CF10 3UD
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors worldwide.
Our ‘Innovative Sustainable Solutions’ unit comprising 700 environmental staff provides advice for our clients on sustainability and environmental issues. Our work providing environmental services is of critical importance to the general public and industry, ensuring that major projects can proceed without significant environmental detriments.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a Principal Ecologist / Ornithologist with substantial ornithology skills and experience. Ideally this position will be based in our Bristol office, but applicants with a preference for an alternative base location will be considered.
This is an opportunity to support our Jacobs colleagues across the UK and internationally, providing expertise on large-scale, complex projects as diverse as road, nuclear and quarry schemes in the UK and energy facilities in the Middle East and Asia-Pacific region.
We are part of Jacobs’ 180-strong UK ecology team, one of the UK’s largest, most dynamic and respected ecology teams. The team delivers surveys, impact assessments and Habitats Regulations Appraisals for major infrastructure projects.
The size and diversity of our team means you’ll get technical as well as career mentoring to ensure your continued professional development. At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate ecologists and field biologists to be our next generation of leaders.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
- Supporting the Technical Director in programme and team management
- Ecological project management
- Planning and resourcing ecological and ornithological field surveys
- Business development
- Preparation of ecological impact studies, feasibility studies, and scheme reports for projects
- Carrying out quality assurance on ecology deliverables
- Technical leadership and ability to ensure delivery from less experienced staff
- An honours degree in ecology or related field
- Full MCIEEM
- CEnv or CEcol
- Proven experience of management of ecological projects
- Specialism in ornithology with demonstrable experience of undertaking complex impact assessments including Collision Risk Modelling
- Confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of working with regulators and clients
- Thorough understanding of biodiversity legislation pertinent to the UK and Europe
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice
- Management experience
- High level of personal responsibility
- Adaptable and flexible approach to different project requirements
- Good IT skills Full current driving licence
- Project management experience
- Postgraduate degree
- Habitats Regulations experience
- Offshore/marine ornithology survey experience
- Overseas ornithology survey and impact assessment experience
- Protected species licence(s)
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. What sets us apart is our absolute belief in the power of our people and our Beyond Zero initiative, which instils a ‘Culture of Caring’ for staff in everything they do. We believe that you’ll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there. The successful candidates will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who are seeking reduced hours contracts. Consideration will be given to each application on a case by case basis.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.