Portfolio Analyst – Strategic Planning
Portfolio Analyst – Strategic Planning
£47,920 - £57,163 per annum
Based: Whitehall, London
The Department of Energy and Climate Change is responsible for ensuring the UK has secure, affordable energy and for the UK’s role in domestic and international efforts to avoid dangerous climate change. The department supports the Secretary of State - The Rt. Hon. Edward Davey MP - and his Ministerial team to deliver the Government’s energy and climate change policies. The Secretary of State has set three priorities:
• Driving investment in the UK’s energy infrastructure and supporting growth.
• Helping households and businesses take control of their energy bills.
• Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the UK and internationally.
In July 2013, DECC set up a Portfolio Office to implement portfolio management across the Department. Its aim is to ensure that DECC chooses the best projects to enter its portfolio and that those projects deliver our objectives. We are looking for a Portfolio Analyst to manage portfolio planning and analysis and the cycle for strategic / business planning in close collaboration with Finance & Strategy. The main duties of this role are:
- Complete the development of a strategic planning process (and supporting material) that sets the DECC cycle for strategic / business planning and reporting. Ensure that this cycle is clearly communicated to and understood across the department. Maintain and update the material as required.
- Regularly review and improve the effectiveness of DECC strategic planning and portfolio management arrangements.
- Maintain good links with relevant stakeholders and keep abreast of and evaluate the effectiveness of new strategic planning and portfolio management tools and techniques that support the development capability in DECC.
- Provide training and awareness-building sessions on strategic planning and portfolio management, and support sharing of lessons learnt and good practice including through the Community of Practice.
- Manage portfolio planning and analysis activity. Provide the analysis to balance/optimise the portfolio taking into account strategic aims, delivery capacity / capability and business as usual priorities.
Specifically the post holder will need:
- Significant experience of analysis, especially of identifying the change initiatives needed to deliver strategy in a portfolio environment
- Experience in public/private sector P3O roles, e.g. in a Portfolio Office or similar team
- Understanding of portfolio management principles and processes including strategic & delivery planning, dependency management and planning processes and tools
- Experience of delivering business change or improvement
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work across an organisation
- You will have, or be working towards, two of :
- Managing Successful Programmes
- PRINCE2 or APM
- Management of Risk (MoR)
- Management of Portfolios (MoP)
- Experience as a portfolio, programme or project manager is desirable
For further information and to apply, please visit Civil Service Jobs. The closing date is 13th June 2014.
DECC values equality and diversity in employment and welcomes applications from all sectors of society.
- 30 May 2014
- 13 June 2014
- Ref: IRC86096
- Wind Energy, Offshore, On-shore, Renewable Energy, Environmental, Professional Services, Minerals, Waste & Recycling, Construction & Development, Public Sector, Manufacturing
- Construction, Installation & Development, Maintenance & Operations, Manufacturing & Production, Project Management, Research & development, Air Pollution / Monitoring, Chemicals / Process Industries, Ecology / Conservation, EIA / Planning, Energy / Renewable Energy, Engineering, Environmental Management, General Management, Senior, Senior Management
- Full Time
- Contract Type
More jobs like this
- Full Time Senior Management Minerals, Waste & Recycling jobs in London (Greater)
- Full Time Senior Management Construction & Development jobs in London (Greater)
- Full Time Senior Management Public Sector jobs in London (Greater)
- Full Time Senior Management Manufacturing jobs in London (Greater)
- Full Time Senior Management Wind Energy jobs in London (Greater)