This job is no longer available
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 250 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering. We see a bright future as we adapt and strengthen our technical expertise in growth areas, such as Energy, Mass Transit and Major Infrastructure.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the energy sector, which includes offshore and onshore oil & gas, renewable energy (wind, current and hydro-power), low carbon engineering and nuclear power. As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright future in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector. We have offices throughout the UK and depending on the particular skillset and experience of the applicant we may consider locating the role in one of several of our UK hub offices (London, Epsom, Birmingham, Warrington and Glasgow).
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Offshore Geotechnical Engineer to take a leading role in our current teams of geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists working in the Offshore Energy sector. Ideally candidates will be experienced in advanced geotechnical analysis and the delivery of geotechnical solutions in both the oil and gas and offshore renewable energy sectors.
Requirements The successful applicant will be a senior / principal geotechnical engineer with a proven technical and project management track record. Excellent technical skills are required relevant to our work in the energy sector. Candidates should be able to demonstrate good commercial skills that will help us develop and expand our energy geotechnical capability in the renewable and oil & gas sectors by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding team.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Chartered status
- Proven experience of acting as a senior / principal geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients
- Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful jobs
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- A flair for innovation
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
- Candidates would require a driving licence
- Experience of the design and supervision of offshore site investigations
- Experience of the design of foundations types including driven piles, monopoles, spud-cans, suctions caissons and gravity bases.
- Experience of pipeline routing studies and near-mudline geotechnical characterisation studies would be beneficial.
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
Rewards and Benefits
Please see our website for full details
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA (who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women for 2013. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.