This job is no longer available
Climate Research Analyst - Centre for Carbon Measurement
Salary £29-33k plus benefits
National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, Middlesex
The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is one of the UK's leading science facilities and research centres. It is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate standards, science and technology available.
NPL occupies a unique position as the UK's National Measurement Institute and sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. Its expertise and original research have underpinned quality of life, innovation and competitiveness for UK citizens and business for more than a century.
The Centre for Carbon Measurement is based at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, south-west London. It was launched with ministerial support in March 2012.
The Centre brings measurement science to the challenging issue of understanding climate change and developing technologies to mitigate it. The aim of the Centre is to provide a firm scientific and technological base to answer questions such as:
- How can we improve the accuracy of climate data in order to better predict the extent and impact of climate change?
- How can we provide confidence in greenhouse gas emission measurements to facilitate new international protocols and carbon trading?
- How can we demonstrate the carbon savings from projects or policies?
- What can we do to validate the claims of new technology - such as how efficient it may be - to give investors and customers confidence?
- What will the impact of low carbon technologies be on our existing infrastructure and how will it need to change to accommodate them?
The Centre is part-government funded, part-commercially funded, and covers the work of up to 150 across the science and technology lab in which it is based.
The Centre is expanding its work and requires additional central resource to support its growth. Tasks will include (but are not limited to):
- Scoping potential projects for the Centre, alongside scientists and technical experts from inside and outside NPL.
- Supporting scientists to expand their work in key areas, for example by completing research on additional funding they could access, supporting the development of partnerships with external organisations and helping them to create strategic plans for their areas.
- Preparing engaging reports and communications materials on a range of projects and themes, to promote the work of the Centre to stakeholders.
- Organising events, including:
- Liaising with partners to agree and organise agenda and logistics;
- Writing content for presentations by the Head of Centre, preparing content for workshops and supporting the facilitation of workshops at events;
- Supporting the delivery of events including welcoming delegates and preparing follow up communications.
- Informing the strategy for the Centre, by analysing internal and external data, attending conferences, events and meetings, and engaging with people internal and external to NPL.
Skills and experience required:
- Is confident, with good people skills: is comfortable picking up the phone and in meetings;
- Has initiative and an ability to prioritise their own workload and escalate appropriately;
- Is able to complete quantitative and qualitative research and analysis;
- Has an ability to work with technical experts and communicate their work to others in simple terms;
- Has a good level of written English with an ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical people; and
- Preferably has a background in science and experience or knowledge of low carbon technologies and /or climate science.
The role represents an opportunity to:
- Help progress the development of a new area and new way of working for NPL;
- Learn about a range of low carbon technologies and solutions across a wide range of scientific areas;
- Work on a diverse range of tasks, getting involved in defining science projects, market research, strategic planning, and communications; and
- Work for a high profile Centre, liaising with partners in government, academia and business.
- As part of the Serco Group plc, we offer competitive salaries, a wealth of career opportunities and a wide range of benefits.
- NPL is based in a unique research environment which is located in pleasant surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park in south-west London. We have a host of onsite facilities including a subsidised crèche, restaurant, and a sports and social club.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting their people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities.
Closing date: 9 November 2012 (interviews will be held w/c 19 November)
To apply, please click the "Apply now" button.