This job is no longer available
First Great Western has one of the largest and most complex rail networks in the UK, carrying one and a half million passengers every week on 9,000 services, and calling at 276 stations. Our High Speed Inter-city services link South Wales, the Cotswolds and the South West with London.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Health, Safety and Environment Team for an experienced Environmental Manager, providing support to the management of environmental and sustainability issues including sustainable design, noise & vibration, biodiversity, energy, recycling and waste management.
You will possess an in-depth understanding and experience of managing environmental and sustainability issues at senior level, preferably in the rail or construction sectors. You will have a proactive approach to environmental management combined with the confidence to communicate and influence colleagues at all levels.
Your ability to build close relationships with teams will make sure we continue to build a world-class railway infrastructure that works in harmony with the world around us. You will lead in respect of compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and franchise commitments and production of environment standards, energy reduction and recycling targets and company briefing material.
Key success criteria:
• Continue development and deploy an environmental and energy management system across our business.
• Produce and lead implementation of the annual environment and energy plan with measurable targets for improvements in environmental performance, recycling and energy consumption.
• Ensure that franchise commitment environmental targets are met.
• Ensure all environmental risk assessments are current and fully consulted with managers and staff.
• Maintain a professional environmental and energy reduction advisory service to all areas of the company
• Achieve ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 accreditation across the company by December 2013 (exc. Engineering).
• A relevant qualification in an environmental discipline
• Up-to-date knowledge of environmental legislation
• Experience of implementing environmental management systems on large projects/organisations
• Experience of working with regulatory bodies and local authorities
• Outstanding project management and delivery record
• The ability to develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Knowledge and experience of delivering sustainability
• Outstanding presentation and information management skills
• Experience of budgetary/financial management
In return you will receive a competitive basic salary, entry into a final salary pension scheme, a generous holiday allowance and free travel for you and your family on First Great Western services. First Great Western is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The successful candidate will be required to attend a pre-employment medical (including a drugs test) and provide satisfactory employment references and undertake a criminal record check.