Renewable Energy Consultant
We are the leading firm of land managers with in excess of 2 million acres under management from 30 offices across the UK. Our 160 Rural Practice Surveyors are complemented by a wide range of specialist skills that enable us to provide our clients with a seamless professional service – these specialists include farm management consultants, foresters, architects and building surveyors, town planners and environmental and renewable energy consultants. We act for a wide range of client types from private individuals to institutional owners and Government Agencies.
This is a supportive role and we are looking to appoint a consultant to join Smiths Gore’s Sustainability and Renewable Energy (SRE) Department. The successful candidate will be based in the Edinburgh office and will report to Smiths Gore’s Renewable Energy Consultant for Scotland and the North of England.
Advice to clients will be required on the installation/development of all types of renewable energy projects, including photovoltaic (PV), wind, hydro, Anaerobic Digestion and Biomass. Experience in at least one of these technologies is essential.
Environmental work forms part of the SRE departments remit. Experience in the environmental sector would be beneficial but not essential.
The work to be undertaken (with input from sub-contractors as necessary) will include the following:
• Technical and financial feasibility studies / appraisals on potential renewable energy projects (including site visits)
• Financial analysis of potential projects (including assessment of payback periods on renewable energy technologies, IRR, NPV, etc)
• Project management of multiple renewable energy installations (Solar PV, Biomass, Heat Pumps, Wind, Hydro & Anaerobic Digestion)
• Management of tender processes
• Contract negotiation with renewable energy developers
• Client reporting and budget management
• Grid connection applications
• FIT, ROC and RHI applications
• Environmental Screening & Scoping for potential development sites
• Stakeholder consultation
• Sustainability statements
• Co-ordination of Environmental Impact Assessments
• Co-ordination of sub-contractors and sub-consultants (including environmental specialists, planners, engineers, land agents and surveyors)
• Business development including writing proposals, developing marketing material, pitching to clients to win new business and presenting at conferences
• Writing project reports
• Communicating technical information clearly and simply to clients and colleagues
We are looking to appoint an individual who is both a self starter and also a team player. He or she will be degree qualified in an appropriate scientific or environmental subject. Candidates should have sound knowledge of renewable energy related projects and have some previous experience working in a consultancy environment or for a renewable energy developer.
The individual should be able to demonstrate an ability to communicate well with both clients and with others whether they are members of the Smiths Gore team or third party contractors/businesses.
Competitive terms will be offered to the right candidate commensurate with their relevant skills set.
The candidate will be expected to work out of the Edinburgh office. There will be a requirement to travel as part of the day to day role.
To apply for this role, please click on the 'Apply now' button
About Smiths Gore
We are a leading rural property consultancy of chartered surveyors and property advisers. With over 160 years’ experience, we are recognised as a dynamic and diverse business, managing over 2 million acres of land in the UK alone.